Join us! We are offering a Spring Cleanse information session on Wed April 17, 6-7:30pm at Vitalize Clinic. We will help you choose a 10, 21 or 28-day cleanse from Standard Process, a whole-food nutrient supplement company. Join acupuncturists Amber Hincks and Molly Erickson for additional support with Chinese medical dietary recommendations for healthy spring eating, recipes, simple meal-planning and group support.
Food should taste good, right? So why are so many medicines bitter? There are bitter flavor receptors throughout the whole body, and just like the other flavors, the bitter flavor has specific biochemical actions that we can benefit from. The 5 flavors are one of the most important concepts of Chinese Herbalism and food therapy. Here is a rundown of how each of the 5 flavors - spicy, sweet, bitter, sour, and salty - functions in your body.
Do you know where your coconut oil comes from? You should. In a day and age where chemicals are readily found in our food system, and more and more labs are creating genetically modified foods, it’s important to be informed, and understand what you’re eating. Coconut oil is one of those foods that can vary greatly in processing, so know what you’re really buying and putting in your body. After all, your body is a temple!
- 1 large banana
- 1.5 cups milk - I like to use a coconut/hemp milk blend
- 1-2 raw egg yolks (you can use the separated whites in a scramble)
- 1 Tbs heaping nut butter - sunbutter, cashew or almond butter
- 1 tsp chai spice blend: 30% cinnamon, 30% ginger, 15% nutmeg, 15% cardamom, 10% clove (if you want to make it yourself, or just add a pinch of each.)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 Tbs hydrolyzed collagen - collagen is great for joint health and reproductive health, high in amino acids that are difficult to find in other food sources. Your hair, nails, skin, muscles and ligaments will thank you.
- Cod Liver Oil - good source of vitamins A, D and K, as well as omega-3 fatty acids
- 1 tsp ashwagandha powder - adaptogen herb that supports a healthy immune system
- 1 Tbs pumpkin butter or puree, just because it's tasty
- 1 tsp cacao nibs